CE Marking is the symbol of product conformity as per define by European Statuary body. The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents.
CE marking is a key indicator of a product’s compliance with EU legislation and enables the free movement of products within the European Economic Area.
CE Mark states that the product is assessed before being placed on the market and meets EU safety, health and environmental protection requirements.
STEPS FOR CE MARKS :
Stage 1: Identify the applicable Directive(s)
Stage 2: Identify the applicable requirements of the Directive(s)
Stage 3: Identify an appropriate route to conformity
Stage 4: Assessment of the product's conformity
Stage 5: Compile the technical documentation
PRODUCTS THAT NEED A CE MARKING
Not all products sold in the EU need to bear CE marking. CE marking applies to products, ranging from electrical equipment to toys and from civil explosives to medical devices. Such products fall under one or more Directives which determine the specific requirements that the product must meet in order to be CE marked. The full list of these product categories is below:
• active implantable medical devices.
• appliances burning gaseous fuels
• cableway installations designed to carry persons
• eco-design of energy related products
• electromagnetic compatibility
• equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres
• explosives for civil uses
• hot-water boilers
• household refrigerators and freezers
• in vitro diagnostic medical devices
• low voltage
• measuring instruments
• medical devices
• noise emission in the environment
• non-automatic weighing instruments
• personal protective equipment
• pressure equipment
• radio and telecommunications terminal equipment
• recreational craft
• safety of toys
• simple pressure vessels